My Photo
Name:
Location: DownByTheRiver, Central Iowa, United States

Husband of the world's most wonderful wife, father of the world's four most brilliant children, grandfather to the world's eight most beautiful granddaughters and two handsomest grandsons

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Late Night Song


Tonight the RRR went out to walk the dog before leaving on the long drive to the Big City to work the night shift. From the woods to the southwest came the loud liquid hooting of an owl. In spring even a young owl's fancy turns to thoughts of love... to misquote Shakespear. I cupped my hands around my mouth and answered him... "Hoo, Hoo HaHoo!" He answered loudly and flew one tree closer. I could not see him in the moonlight but could hear that he was closer. I called out again. But in the meantime the amorous owl and I had disturbed the pack of coyotes who were sneaking past the swamp. They began their crazed yapping and howling. The owl and I called out louder to cover them up. They became more strident. Bay Toe Ven, the Inside Dog whom I was walking started his hound dog "ow..ow.. OOO" to join in. Then Sam, the Outside dog was giving his deep "woof..woof" to help the chorus. Mrs. RRR came out on the deck of the cabin to see what all the racket was.

I got in the Green Hornet and took off down the River Road, grinning. Spring has returned and we were all singing about it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mid-kid said...

That's just great. The owl thought you were a beautiful female owl. Does that not bother you? To be in the designs of a lovesick owl? It seems a bit odd to me.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Visithra said...

hehhe lol at the comment - u had fun! so mrs r did a lot of head shaking?

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home